REGISTRATION FOR INDUSTRIAL HEMP CULTIVATION IS NOT YET AVAILABLE.  All growers of industrial hemp for commercial purposes must register with the County Agricultural Commissioner prior to cultivation.  Since registration is not currently available, no industrial hemp may be cultivated in the County.  Any cultivation of industrial hemp without a valid registration is in violation of the law and subject to enforcement.  The fees and process for registration will be developed by the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA), which will consider recommendations from the Industrial Hemp Advisory Board.  When CDFA provides registration materials to the County Agricultural Commissioner, the Agricultural Commissioner's website will be updated with registration procedures.

RFP NOTICE UPDATE! The ranking process for the Cannabis RFP RESPONSE packages, by the County, is now complete. Please click here to view the ranking results.

Commercial Cannabis in Riverside County 

Over the last several years, California voters and the state legislature created a legal framework to enable the cannabis industry to move into a regulated commercial market. In response to these changes, the Riverside County Board of Supervisors voted to initiate the process to establish potential ordinances to create a comprehensive local program to permit and regulate medical and adult-use cannabis businesses and cannabis activities. On October 23, 2018, the Board of Supervisors approved an ordinance establishing the permitting process and regulations for commercial cannabis operations. This webpage serves as central location for the multi-department implementation of the County’s Cannabis Program.

Quick Facts About Cannabis in Riverside County

   -   Ordinance No. 348.4898 establishes the permitting process and regulations for commerical cannabis operations and became effective December 23, 2018. However, the County is only responsible for permitting in the unincorporated County areas. Therefore, if you are located within an incorporated city, please contact that city to inquire about the city’s regulations. 
   -   As of December 26, 2018, the Riverside County Planning Department is accepting conditional use permit applications for commercial cannabis: testing, distribution, manufacturing, and wholesale nurseries ONLY.
   -   Applicants for commercial cannabis retail and cultivation uses must participate in the proposal process by which the County will seek and evaluate proposals from interested parties. In the first year of implementation of the ordinance, the County will accept and process 50 cultivation and 19 retail conditional use applications, as selected via the proposal process. This process is commence with the submittal of pre-registration forms, which were due February 15, 2019. Submittal of the form on or before this date is required to move forward in the process.
   -   Commercial Cannabis regulations can be found in Article XIXh of Ordinance No. 348. Additional commercial cannabis documents may be found in the Documents & Reports webpage.
   -   All commercial cannabis conditional use permits issued by the County will require that a cannabis businesses obtain a state license prior to operating. More information on state licensing is available here.
   -   All commercial cannabis conditional use applications are required to be processed with a Development Agreement (negotiated with the County). Development Agreement base rate and processing fees will be determined by the BOS after the first of the year.
   -   For additional details, please review the Cannabis Applications flyer.
Request for Proposal (RFP) for Commercial Cannabis Retail Sales, Cultivation, and Microbusinesses

The response period for the County's RFP for commercial cannabis retail sales, cultivation, and microbusinesses is now closed. No late submittals will be accepted.  119 responses were received and will move forward to the next step in the process. RFP package completeness notifications have been sent, and the ranking process for the Cannabis RFP response packages, by the County, is now complete. Please click on the links below to view the ranking results:

Cannabis RFP Response Package - Ranking Results Information

  Ranking Results Table

Applying for a Commercial Cannabis Conditional Use Permit (Testing, Manufacturing, Distribution, and Wholesale Nursery)

Every commercial cannabis activity requires an approved conditional use permit (CUP) and development agreement, at a minimum:

  • There is no special or unique CUP application that will be used to apply for a commercial cannabis activities. The existing CUP application (Form 295-1010, "Application for Land Use and Development") shall be used. CUP application forms and filing instructions can be found on the application webpage.
  • Fees for CUP applications can be found on the fee schedule webpage. Fees for commerical cannabis CUP applications are no different than CUP application fees for other conditional uses.
  • All commercial cannabis CUP applications will be processed with a development agreement that will be negotiated during the application process.
  • At this point, the County will only accept applications for commercial cannabis testing, manufacturing, distribution, and wholesale nurseries. Currently, applications for commerical cannabis retial, cultivation, and microbusiness are NOT be accepted being accepted. An request for proposal (RFP) process for these activities will begin early 2019. More information and updates can be found on this webpage.


For additional details, please review the Cannabis Applications flyer.

Quick Links



Useful Info.

& Reports